...back to Business Skills Training
- This course covers topics critical for persons involved with maintaining an accurate and functional record-keeping system in a public sector organization. The course is based on unit standard (242866) – Identify, operate and maintain the records management system in a Public Sector organization. It is a NQF level 3 course and carries 6 credits.
- 2 Days
Classroom facilitation linked with practical exercises during which delegates will discuss case studies relevant to recordkeeping.
- The qualifying learner will be capable of:
- Identifying legislative and policy and procedure requirements that determine records management in a public sector organisation.
- Explaining the purpose of a records management system in the context of a public sector organisation.
- Operating a records storage and retrieval system in a public sector organisation.
- Maintaining a records storage and retrieval system in a public sector organisation.
- 1. Legislative and policy and procedure requirements
a. Legislation that covers the record keeping in the department
b. Organisational policies and procedures that cover the record keeping in the department
c. Different types of documents and their retention requirements
d. The rationale for record management
e. The consequences of poor records management
- 2. Purpose of a records management system in the Public Sector
a. Objectives of a records management programme
b. The purpose of managing records effectively
c. The purpose of various retention periods
d. The constitutional issues relating to document management
- 3. Operating a records storage and retrieval system in a Public Sector organisation
a. Records storage and retrieval
b. Operation of records systems
c. Technology used in records management
d. Sources of help
- 4. Maintaining a records storage and retrieval system in a public sector organisation
a. The maintenance functions of records management systems
b. Records management security policies
c. The objectives and purpose of records management security policies
d. The importance of data integrity within a record management maintenance process